Monday 11 August 2014

August Break Day 11: Handwriting

I have a vision of Songlines stretching across the continents and the ages; that wherever men have trodden they have left a trail of song (of which we may, now and then, catch an echo). Chatwin. Pg 43.
 
When two families merge in a marriage, they of course bring with them their own culture.
In my case, it has been rhymes, songs and sayings.
I was surprised to learn that what I thought was 'everybody's version of 30 Days Hath September' was simply not so. As you can see, our versions start off the same but differ on the last two sentences.
I am sure some researcher probably can trace where the version split and why - all in all a fascinating discovery. Here are the two versions in my own handwriting.
Blessings to all calligraphers out there who still know the joys of pen and ink.

No comments:

Post a Comment